Altavilla, Cashel Road, Cahir, Co. Tipperary

Altavilla, Cashel Road, Cahir, Co. Tipperary - Click to view photos
See Larger Images & 19 More Photographs >>

Altavilla, Cashel Road, Cahir, Co. Tipperary - Image 2 Altavilla, Cashel Road, Cahir, Co. Tipperary - Image 3 Altavilla, Cashel Road, Cahir, Co. Tipperary - Image 4 Altavilla, Cashel Road, Cahir, Co. Tipperary - Image 5

€990,000

Detached House
6 Bedrooms, 2 Bathrooms, Detached House

Contact Name: Marcus Magnier

Agent: Colliers International

PSR Licence Number: 001223

Email Agent Show Number
|
Share with a Friend
|

Property Description

Altavilla is an imposing period house dating from 1790 on approximately 22 acres, situated on the outskirts of the historic market town of Cahir and with frontage to and fishing rights over the river Suir.

The Virginia Creeper clad house is approximately 496 sq.mt. (5,339 sq. ft). It dates from the 1790 and was substantially remodelled in the 1860€TM to offer elegantly proportioned yet comfortable accommodation in a private and convenient location.

Location
The adjoining market town of Cahir has at its centre, Cahir Castle, seat of the Butlers, Barons of Caher and afterwards, Earls of Glengall, which stands on an island in the river Suir, is the largest and best presented circa 15th and 16th Century castle in Ireland. Cahir is in close proximity to Cashel, former seat of the High Kings of Ireland and due to the quality of the limestone land, Tipperary is world renowned as being at the heart of Ireland's blood stock industry with the famous Coolmore Stud about a 20-minute drive.

Altavilla is approximately 3 km off the M8 Dublin to Cork motorway and is about a 2-hour drive from Dublin and 1 hour from Cork, both with international airports.

Outbuildings
Immediately to the rear of the house is a small kitchen courtyard which served as ancillary rooms to the main kitchen level which was originally in the semi basement/garden level and includes larder, two scullery rooms, fruit and vegetable store and two other small stores. There is also an outer courtyard which had stables, coach house and stores and which requires total restoration.

Accommodation
Granite steps rise to the entrance porch which in turn has steps rising to the impressive reception hall with fireplace with a timber mantelpiece and off this the main reception rooms radiate. The bow ended drawing room, a delightful room overlooking the gardens, has ornate white carved marble mantelpiece and the dining room has an ornate black marble mantelpiece and a dining alcove overlooking the lawns. The final reception room at this level is the living room/library with columned mantelpiece and fitted book shelves and cupboards and the kitchen/breakfast room has a range of fitted wall and floor cupboards.

There are two separate stair halls, both of which lead to the upper and lower levels. At both half landings there are cloakrooms with WC and wash hand basin. The semi-basement/garden level itself is unusually bright and airy with high ceilings and has three main rooms and a secure wine cellar with bins. A door leads from this level to the rear garden.

The main staircase rises to the spacious landing at the first floor with its airing cupboard and shower and which accommodates four bright and spacious double bedrooms, a family bathroom with large cast iron bath and extensive vanity unit plus the master bedroom, a delightful bow ended room overlooking the gardens.

The upper/attic level has a further double bedroom, a study and a small store.


The Grounds and Lands
The house is set well back off the county road and is approached via a post and rail lined avenue through parkland with an abundance of mature timber which is a particular feature. Generally, throughout the grounds and lands are fine mature trees including specimens of Beech, Sycamore, Copper Beech and Oak and it is noted that in 1803 over 900 trees of various species were planted. The main lawns extend to the southern side of the house and include colourful rose beds and gravelled pathways, one of which leads to the original walled garden. The top-quality farm land slopes gently to the river Suir, which bounds the property and over which the single bank of fishing rights is held.

History
Charles Going, a well-known trader who prospered trading with the West Indies in the 1790€TM, purchased the Suir Mills in Cahir, and constructed a large country residence overlooking the river Suir, which he called Altavilla.

Only three families have ever lived in Altavilla. It was the seat of the Going family for over one hundred and fifty years, from when Charles first built the house to Alexander, who carried out the Italianate remodelling and extension in the 1860 to the design of Sir Thomas Newenham Deane, to Thomas Hardinge Going, the last resident.

The house was purchased by Sir Richard Pennefather Warren, the 8th Baron Warren, in the mid 1940€TM and was subsequently acquired by the well-known businessman, Jim Burke, in 1960 for his new bride and his family are the current vendors.

BER Exempt

This property was last updated: today, 12 hours ago


Contact Estate Agent

To: Marcus Magnier in Colliers International
Subject: Detached House in Altavilla, Cashel Road, Cahir, Co. Tipperary
Your Name:* Message:*
Email Address:*
Your Phone Number:

Terms of Use

We want you to know exactly how our service works, why we need your details and how we process that information. Please state that you have read and agree with our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy before you continue.

*

Selling Agent

Colliers International
19-26 Hambleden House Lower Pembroke Street Dublin 2

Contact Name: Marcus Magnier

PSR Licence Number: 001223

Show Number
This Detached House located at Altavilla, Cashel Road, Cahir, Co. Tipperary is currently for sale. This property was last updated by Colliers International today. Altavilla, Cashel Road, Cahir, Co. Tipperary is priced as: €990,000 and has 6 Bedrooms, 2 Bathrooms. View all properties for sale in Cahir, Co. Tipperary. View properties for sale with 6 bedrooms in Cahir, Co. Tipperary.
Viewing 1 of 20 photos
Altavilla, Cashel Road, Cahir, Co. Tipperary